Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Holga: Camera Review


I'm sure that not many of you have heard of the Holga.  I hadn't either until I got one for Christmas this year.  The Holga is a plastic film camera that has only four settings.  It is really great if you just want to take pictures, and not worry about settings, flash etc.  It is also a really good camera for beginning film photography.

What I got in my stocking this Christmas!
 Image Courtesy of docksandgreens.blogspot.com
When I first got my camera, I had no idea how to work it.  It took me a week to figure out how to put the film in, when to turn the knob, and how to open and close the camera without ruining the film (which I did a few times).  However, after you have the hang of it, it is super easy.  Unfortunately, I haven't gotten a chance to develop the three film rolls that are sitting on my desk, so instead I'll show what the pictures can look like.  

Image Courtesy of fivetdsisters.blogspot.com
This is picture taken of the film that contains this picture...  confusing right?  However, as you can see, the camera takes really cool, faded looking pictures.  The Holga also captures light in a really cool way!   Here are some more examples.

Image Courtesy of www.liadcohen.com
Image Courtesy of alexibullock.blogspot.com
Both of these photos are taken from a really neat perspective.  The first one was taken using green tinted film, and the second one was just using regular colored film.  I really love the way the details fade out at the corners.  All pictures taken with the Holga have a slight vignette around the edges, that can really give a picture personality.  

So if you ever decide that you want to try film photography, I would definitely start with the Holga.  It really does deliver at just the push of a button.   

P.S.  I'll post some of my pictures as soon as I get them developed.

No comments:

Post a Comment