Friday, April 19, 2013

Lifelike

This past weekend, I went with a friend to visit La Jolla, a suburb of San Diego.  During our trip we decided to visit the La Jolla Museum of Contemporary Art.  They had an exhibit called "Lifelike" that I had heard of, and was really interested in seeing.  Located in the middle of La Jolla, it was a walking distance from our hotel, and ended up being one of the highlights of our trip!  Here are a few of the pieces in the exhibit.


Image Courtesy of mcasd.org



This may look like an eraser, but it is actually three feet long, and made out of balsa wood and acrylic paint.  It looks so much like the real thing, you have to look really close and carefully to see what it really is.  I really like this piece of the exhibit because of how the artist made a simple, everyday thing into a piece of art.


Jud Nelson, 1981

Image Courtesy of walkerart.org

This piece is so realistic, I almost leaned over to pick it up when I saw it in the middle of the gallery.  This realistic looking trash-bag was actually made of marble, and intricately carved.  The details are so accurate that it took the artist 6 years just to make this one piece!


"(Old) No One - in Particular #6, Series 2," by Evan Penny
This piece REALLY creeped me out.  Made of latex, animal hair and many other material's, it looks like someone chopped the bottom part of a real old man.  The wrinkles and details in the face must have taken forever to form.  The eyes were what made this sculpture look so real.  With eyelashes and everything, these eyes look unnaturally real.

Overall, this exhibit went beyond my expectations, and I would definitely recommend going.  From mini elevators to giant milk cartons, this gallery has a range of pieces.
















2 comments:

  1. This is so cool Maddy! I agree, the old man is a little creepy...haha! Thanks for the posting, it's always fun to read! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA MADDY I FOUND YOUR BLOG EVEN THOUGH YOU TOLD ME I NEVER WOULD! :)

    ReplyDelete